Every week BEFORE the games (by saturday night), I do my "Studs n Duds" column, where I look at all 32 teams, and basically go over who I like/dislike in that week. Then, after the games, I'll follow up with a "What You Learned" column that examines that weeks games.
So here it is... What YOU Learned in WEEK 2!
- If you planned on riding Jamal Charles to a championship, you learned that Fantasy Football can be a cruel game sometimes. You could pick up Thomas Jones if he's out there, but I'm wondering if McCluster is the smarter move here, especially in PPR formats. I see the Chiefs being down in a lot of games, and if they are down by a lot of points, are the going to be handing the ball off to Jones?
- If you're in need of some depth at the wide receiver position, and you missed out on Devery Henderson, you learned that there'll be some more options for you after the week 2 games. Take a look at Oakland's Denarius Moore, who had 1TD and 146 yards. You can also kick the tires on Buffalo's David Nelson, who had 10 catches for 83 yards and a TD. Or maybe Carolina's Brandon LaFell, who's had 4 catches in each game so far, and had a nice TD catch in week 2. If nobody owns Nate Washington, he's worth a look, as he has 13 receptions for 166 yards in his first 2 games. And then, of course, there's Denver's Eric Decker, who will be on everyone's radar after his 2TD, 113 yard performance. Perhaps even Jerome Simpson, who just nabbed 136 yards against the Broncos in week 2, so he's worth a roster spot at this point.
- Speaking of needing help at wide receiver, if you picked up Early Doucet after his big game in week 1, you learned that you probably shouldn't have. Only 2 catches for 20 yards in week 2, and that's probably what you'll see out of him most weeks.
- If you "Stayed the Course" with Blount, you learned that he is what you thought he was... a beast!
- If nobody in your league picked up Fred Davis after his solid showing in week 1, you learned that you ought to grab him on the waiver wire this week!
- If you thought Newton wouldn't be able to put up big numbers 2 weeks in a row, you learned that you thought wrong! Another big game, 2 more TD's and another (yes ANOTHER) 400+ yard passing game. Who does that!? Not many, my friend. Especially not rookies. Especially not during the first 2 weeks of the rookies' season!
- If you picked up Kerry Collins to start in place of your injured Peyton Manning, you learned that you should've picked up any QB except Collins. Literally ANY other QB, he's awful, drop him immediately! He's almost as bad as McNabb, for cryin' out loud!
- If you started Mike Williams(Bucs WR), Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd, Plaxico Burress, Antonio Gates, or DeSean Jackson, you learned that sometimes the fantasy gods can be quite vindictive!
- If you drafted Fitzpatrick to be your backup QB, you learned that maybe, JUST MAYBE, this guy should be your STARTING QB instead! Roethlisberger and Schaub went off the board long before Fitzpatrick, but so far, Fitzy to Steve Johnson is quite the combo platter!
- If you drafted or picked up Aaron Hernandez, you learned that patience is the virtue, as he's apparently going to miss a week or 2 with a knee injury. Gronkowski against the Bills says what? Wow, Gronko owners are excited for week 3!
- If you were upset with Ochocinco's workload in week 1, you learned that you are slightly less upset with his workload in week 2 than you were in week 1! He's still OchoStinko, but if Hernandez doesn't play in week 3, could that mean some more targets for Ocho?? Maybe.
- If you drafted Ingram as a RB2, you learned that it probably would've been wiser to have him as an RB3 instead. Meanwhile, in just 2 games, Sproles has 3 TD's and 15 receptions! Yet he was drafted much later than Ingram. Go figure.
- If you drafted DeAngelo Williams as an RB2 or a Flex, you learned that maybe it's best to find another option until DeAngelo rips off a big game or 2. Until then, I'd look for better options. Although, if you're a gambler, and I think you might be, you could always see what he does in week 3 against the Jaguars...
- If you drafted Tom Brady, you learned that you're smarter than everybody else in your league.
- If you thought Reggie Bush looked good in week 1, you learned that Daniel Thomas looked better in week 2.
- If you were pissed at Jeremy Maclin for only getting you 20 yards in week 1, you realized that it's time to fall back in love with him! 13 catches!? 171 yards!? In one week?? Wow.
- Speaking of Maclin, you Vick owners learned that it's going to be an agonizing, painful, year for you! And I'm just talking about the pain of having to watch him take each hit, week after week, wondering if it's the hit that's going to ruin your chances of getting a championship in 2011. Vick was concussed in week 2, and they may just have to sit him in week 3. But make no mistake, I expect Vick to play in no less than 13 games during the regular season. And hopefully he just doesn't miss any of those weeks during weeks 12-16, aka, your fantasy playoff weeks.
THAT'S IT FOR THIS WEEK, STAY TUNED FOR WEEK 3 STUDS N DUDS (coming this weekend)!