Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fantasy Football 2014: Drafting at the 12th pick in a 12 team league!

As I wrote in 2013, it's always interesting getting the last pick in a fantasy football draft. I prefer 12 team leagues, so getting that last pick is so very painful because you know that you're not going to get a "golden ticket", so to speak. No Adrian Peterson. No Calvin Johnson. No Peyton Manning.  And so on.

It's easy to overcome this though, all you need to do is go as big as you possibly can with the 12th and 13th pick. A friend of mine who never played fantasy football before was playing in his office's Fantasy League, and so I decided to be an "Angel Investor" of sorts! How did I do that? I hooked him up with my personal Draft Guide, which is 1000x better than drafting with a magazine or website print-outs! This guy had the last pick in the draft. As it turned out, he ended up winning the league without making any post-draft free agent adds/drops, which in itself is pretty amazing.  The bottom line is, some people HATE getting the last pick in the 1st round. Me? I love it!

So fast forward to 2014, you're looking at most 12 team leagues' 1st 11 picks ending something like this (not necessarily in this exact order, of course)...

1. Adrian Peterson, RB
2. Lesean McCoy, RB
3. Jamaal Charles, RB
4. Peyton Manning, QB
5. Calvin Johnson, WR
6. Demaryius Thomas, WR
7. Drew Brees, QB
8. Marshawn Lynch, RB
9. Jimmy Graham, TE
10. Matt Forte, RB
11. Eddie Lacy, RB

That's the first 11 off the board MAYBE, PROBABLY, but who really knows, right? Obviously there are a few other players that we could see in the top 11.  There is still a Tier 1 QB, there are still some decent RB's, and also some really nice WR options that got left out of this scenario. Let's take a look...

QB: Aaron Rodgers

RB: Demarco Murray, Alfred Morris

WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green

To be honest, I am not in love with either of those 2 RB's.  Murray only has 1 strong year of fantasy production under his belt, and Alf took as step back in 2013.  So there are question marks with both of these guys, they are not sure-fire hits.  Not only will I be passing on an RB with my 12th pick, but I think I pass on one with the 13th pick as well.  For my money, right here, I can't help myself, I take Dez Bryant with my 12th pick, and I come right back with AJ Green for pick 13.  Will I be weak at RB?  Yes, I probably will, but I don't really care because of how stacked I'll be at WR.  And listen, even if Bryant got taken before the 12th pick, and it was Demaryius Thomas that slipped to me, I am fine with Demaryius and Green.

Now, you may very well be tempted to take Rodgers and a WR with the 12th and 13th pick, and I won't kill you for going that route.  But I'd rather grab 2 monster WR's with these 2 picks, and end up with my QB1 being a Romo/Stafford/Foles/Luck.

But again, this is easier to figure out when you use a draft tool that helps you SEE VALUE (like the 2014 Fantasy Football Draft Guide spreadsheet!)  If you like what you heard from this post, then you should consider visiting my website to purchase your own copy, so you too can draft smart, and draft deep!

To grab your copy of the 2013 Fantasy Football Draft Day Spreadsheet, go to http://www.fantasyfootballaddict.com/ and click on the Paypal button!

Here's a quick look at the main tab of the spreadsheet, BEFORE your draft...

Here's what it might look like after the first 4 rounds... the YELLOW highlights are your selections...  the RED highlights are players that other owners in your league drafted...

And here's a look at the "Top 150" tab of the spreadsheet...


To grab your copy of the 2013 Fantasy Football Draft Day Spreadsheet, go to http://www.fantasyfootballaddict.com/ and contact me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment